2008-08-05

Infrared Photography


Royal Botanical Gardens, Sydney, NSW, Australia



All Saints Anglican Church, Parramatta ,NSW, Australia

Decided to try my hand at some infrared photography. I used my old Nikon D70 with a Hoya R72 infrared filter on a tripod. Did some cross-channel processing, adjusted the levels and curves in Adobe Photoshop. There are alot of tutorials on the web on how to acheive this. I am very happy with the results that I am now seriously considering doing an IR conversion on my Nikon D70 as I don't use it for anything else.

I need to get one of this replacement IR filter from here >>

It costs USD $179 just for the IR filter and then I have to do the modification myself which is quite scary. Lifepixel can do the conversion for you but it costs USD $399.00 excluding postage. The IR conversion also voids your warranty and you will longer be able to use it for normal photography.

The advantage of doing the IR conversion is that I no longer have to drag my "really" heavy tripod around for long exposure shots. I can just compose and shoot just like normal.

It a real pain in the ass having to compose the shot, screw on the Hoya R72 filter to take the shot and then you have to unscrew the filter to compose the next shot. This whole process is repeated each time you have to take a different shot.


No comments: